Search Contextures Sites
Preparing Your Pivot Table Data
Creating a Simple Pivot Table
Adding Fields to the Pivot Table
Modifying the Pivot Table
Test an Interactive Pivot Table
Download the Sample File
Video: Create a Pivot Table
More Pivot Table Tutorials
These instructions are for Excel 2013. For Excel 2010 / 2007 instructions, click here.
Before you create a pivot table, organize your data into rows and columns, and create an Excel Table. There are instructions here.
In this example the source data contains information about food sales, in two regions.
After your source data is prepared, you can create a pivot table. We'll see which pivot table layouts are suggested by Excel.
- Select any cell in the source data table.
- On the Ribbon, click the Insert tab.
- In the Tables group, click Recommended PivotTables.
- In the Recommended PivotTables window, scroll down the list, to see the suggested layouts. Click on a layout, to see a larger view.
- Click on the layout that you want to use, then click OK.
A pivot table is created in your workbook, on a new sheet, in the layout that you selected. When you select a cell within the pivot table, a PivotTable Field List appears, at the right of the worksheet.
You can change the layout of the pivot table, after it's been created. We'll add the TotalPrice field to the pivot table.
- In the PivotTable Field List, add a check mark to the TotalPrice field. The TotalPrice field is automatically added to the pivot table, in the Values area, as Sum of TotalPrice.
Click here to see a completed version of a pivot table based on insurance policy data.
The pivot table demonstration is interactive, so you can use the Report Filters, at the top of the pivot table, to limit the amount of data that is being summarized.
Click here to download the zipped sample file
To see the steps for creating a pivot table in Excel 2013, please watch this short video.
- Add-In: PivotPower Premium
- Beginning Pivot Tables Book
- Pivot Tables Recipe Book
- Xtreme Pivot Table Course - Use code CONTEXTURES for 10% discount.
Last updated: July 6, 2014 3:18 PM
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.