Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Dec 10, 2013
Quickly clear all filters + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to quickly clear all filters from a list, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news!
- Debra firstname.lastname@example.org
Show Input and Error Messages in Excel
If you put data validation rules on a cell, you can add messages to help people put valid data into the cell:
- show an input message when the cell is selected. Give a brief description of what can be entered in the cell.
- create an error message, which appears if invalid data is entered. The error message can stop invalid data, or show a warning but allow the invalid data
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Show Input and Error Messages in Excel
Clear Excel Filters With a Single Click
Instead of using the Ribbon commands to clear the filters in a table or pivot table, add the Clear button to your Quick Access Toolbar. Then, you can clear the filters with a single click, instead of several steps.
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Clear Excel Filters With a Single Click
More Excel Tips
Here are a few more Excel articles that I read this week, that you might find useful:
- On the Ask a Manager blog, someone asked, "What's the coolest Excel trick you know?" Read the comments to see the tips -- and there are lots!
- Mike Alexander is sharing his Periodic Table of Excel Keyboard Shortcuts, and a Visual Guide to Choosing Chart Types. You can download them in PDF format, until Jan. 1st. You can see the table below.
- Rob Collie shows a simple, and useful, trick for combating “stale” Slicers in PowerPivot.
- On his Freewheel Burning blog, Pete Larson is dismayed to learn that the fancy new heart risk calculator he heard about is just an Excel workbook. Can Excel really help save lives?
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Video: Switch Data Layout
If you want to change data from a horizontal layout to a vertical one, watch this very short video to see the quick steps. The written instructions are in the Excel FAQs on my website.
The Christmas Village
We don't put up many holiday decorations, but our little Christmas village gets set up in the front hall every year. Each house has a light switch, and my granddaughter loves to help by turning on those lights, every time she visits.
Recommended Excel Tools
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.