Excel Weekly News from Contextures Dec 17, 2013
Ungroup dates in filter drop down + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to quickly clear all filters from a list, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news! We'll take a short break for the holidays, and your next newsletter will arrive on January 7th.
- Debra email@example.com
Remove Date Grouping in Excel Filter Drop Downs
By default, when you turn on an AutoFilter, dates are grouped in the drop down list. You can manually change a setting, to ungroup them in the current workbook. You can also use programming to turn the grouping on or off.
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Remove Date Grouping in Excel Filter Drop Downs
Show New Pivot Table Items in Alphabetical Order
When you add new items to a pivot table, they might not appear in alphabetical order. Sometimes, if the pivot field is filtered, those items don't appear at all.
Watch this video to see how to show the items alphabetically. Also see how to change a pivot field setting, so new items automatically appear, even if the field is filtered.
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Show New Pivot Table Items in Alphabetical Order
Turn Off Narrator Voice in Excel Workbook
One of the accessibility features in Microsoft Office is the Voice Narrator. It speaks to you, describing the cell contents or the selected item on the worksheet. I accidentally turned this feature on, and it took a few minutes to figure out how to turn it off again..
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Turn Off Narrator Voice in Excel Workbook
More Excel Tips
Here are a few more Excel articles that I read this week, that you might find useful:
- Did you learn any cool Excel tricks this year? Chandoo shares his favourite new trick, and read the comments to see what other people have learned.
- If you're creating reports in Excel, Charley Kyd shows how the SUMIFS, INDEX and MATCH functions can help you pull the data for the report.
- Simon Murphy asks the interesting question, “Has EuroSpRIG increased spreadsheet risk?”
- Jon Peltier gives step by step instructions for building a multiple width overlapping column chart. You can see the final result in the screen shot below.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Video: Count Specific Items With COUNTIF Function
This video shows how to use the COUNTIF function to count cells that contain a specific string of text, such as "Pen". How many orders were placed for any kind of pen, such as "Gel Pen", "Pen" or even a "Pencil"?
The New Intern
I'll be taking a little time off to enjoy the holidays, but don't worry, the new intern will be looking after the office while I'm away. She has her own phone, and a trusty calculator, and is learning how to use Excel.
Happy holidays, and I'll see you in January!
Recommended Excel Tools
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2017
All rights reserved.