Excel Weekly News from Contextures Feb 04, 2014
Fix imported dates + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to track projects online, fix imported dates, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news!
- Debra firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Tracking with Excel Web App
Excel files that are set as Shared can cause problems, so I stay away from using those. However, I'm now using the online Excel Web App to share a simple project tracking file with a client, and it's going well.
The Web App is a stripped down version of the desktop Excel, so you won't find all your favourite features. It's worth trying though, if you have a simple file that you want to share with other people..
Click here to see the details: Project Tracking with Excel Web App
Sort Pivot Table Left to Right
Usually you sort the values in a pivot table column, either largest to smallest or smallest to largest. You can also sort the values across a pivot table row, left to right. It's easy to sort the Grand Total row, and an item row can also be sorted, in a few more steps.
Click here to see the details: Sort Pivot Table Left to Right
Excel Dates Won't Change Format
If you import data to Excel, you might have problems when you try to change the date format, or sort by date. This problem occurs when Excel sees them as "text" dates instead of "real" dates. There are a couple of quick fixes that you can use, to solve the problem..
Click here to see the details: Excel Dates Won't Change Format
More Excel Tips
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read last week, that you might find useful:
- Even if you don't like statistics, or it makes your head hurt, take a look at Mike Alexander's article on identifying outliers in your Excel data. You'll feel smarter by the end of the article!
- If you'd like feedback on a chart or other data visualization that you're working on, check out the new forum – HelpMeViz. Even if you don't submit your own work, you'll benefit from reading the comments there.
- If you need to compile data from several Excel files into one, you can use the sample code that Winston Snyder shared on his Data Prose blog.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Video: Quick Search in AutoFilter Excel 2010
Instead of scrolling down the list of items in the filter drop down, you can use the Search box in the Excel 2010 AutoFilter drop down, to quickly filter items in a long list.
Covered With Ice
Things got pretty messy in the southeastern USA last week, where I was visiting. We're used to seeing lots of ice and snow during the Canadian winter, but these ice-covered trees were surprising to see in the south.
Recommended Excel Tools
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2017
All rights reserved.