Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Feb 25, 2014
Clear old items in pivot table + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to clear old items from a pivot table drop down, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news!
- Debra email@example.com
Create Rounded Shapes in Excel 2013
Shape Styles are flat in Excel 2013, but you can change a setting to see rounded options. I use these rounded shapes to create buttons that look "clickable".
Tip: Create a template with these and other favourite settings. Details in the blog post.
Click here to see the details: Create Rounded Shapes in Excel 2013
Manually Clear Old Items in Pivot Drop Down
After removing items from a pivot table's source data, they can still appear in the pivot field drop downs. See how to remove them.
Click here to see the details: Manually Clear Old Items in Pivot Drop Down
Problem Breaking Links in Excel
If an Excel file is linked to another workbook, you can break the links, and just show the values in the cells. Occasionally, the Break Link button is dimmed, so you can't use it. Read this article to see what the problem was, when this happened in one of my files.
Click here to see the details: Problem Breaking Links in Excel
More Excel Tips
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read last week, that you might find useful:
- Are you an Excel Ninja? On the Lifehacker blog, Eric Ravenscraft shows you ?Four Skills That Will Turn You Into a Spreadsheet Ninja. The article links to my page on how to build a simple Order Form in Excel – so it must be good!
- Winston Snyder shares his code for turning the field captions on and off in a pivot table. Tip: If it’s just the headings, “Row Labels” and “Column Labels” that you don’t like, change from Compact Layout to Tabular Layout.
- Annie Cushing gives us 18 real life examples of when and why you’d want to combine text from multiple cells.
- If you do any programming in Excel, you might discover a few new tips, as Colin Legg takes us on a guided tour of the VBA IDE’s options.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Video: Combine Text From Two Cells
You can use the CONCATENATE function, or the & operator, to combine text from two or more cells. If one of the cells has a formatted number, you can add a step, to show that formatting in the combined result.
There are dolphins in this area, and I saw one last year, but it was too far away to get a picture. Last week, one swam by, and it was very close to the shore, so I finally got a picture! It swam slowly, bobbing up and down, so perhaps it was fishing for its lunch.
Recommended Excel Tools
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.