Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Apr 15, 2014
Fix Pivot Subtotals+ more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to fix date formats in pivot table subtotals, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news!
- Debra email@example.com
- Change Text to Superscript
- Fix Dates in Pivot Subtotals
- Center Headings Without Merging
- More Excel Tips
- Video: Run Macro If Worksheet Changes
- Weekly Photo: Spring Colours
- Excel Tools
There's a Superscript button in Word (shown below), but it's not available in Excel. If you're entering data that needs superscript, such as CO2, it could take a long time to change each character manually. You can try my macro, that quickly changes marked text to superscript.
Click here to see the details, and download the sample file: Change Characters to Superscript
If you add subtotals to a pivot table date field, the subtotal date format might be different from the other dates. See why the problem occurs, and learn how to fix it.
Click here to read the details, and download the sample file: Fix Dates in Pivot Subtotals
Merged cells can make it difficult to sort or filter in Excel, so I avoid using them, when possible. In this example, I show how to centre headings across several columns, without merging the heading cells.
Click here to see the details: Center Headings Without Merging
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read recently, that you might find useful:
Other Excel Articles
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read last week, that you might find useful:
- Chandoo reviewed the Excel for the iPad app, and you can watch his video to see his comments. If you don’t have an iPad, follow the link to the data visualization contest, and you could win one!
- Jon Acampora explains how to keep consistent formatting in a pivot chart, when filtering it with slicers.
- There’s was lots of hype about this Excel replacement last week. One of the creators did quantum entanglement research, but thinks Excel is too complicated, and has too many functions.
- On Microsoft’s MVP blog, Glenna Shaw shows how to insert an Excel Table in a PowerPoint presentation, and use its advanced features there – even sparklines (a little choppy-looking) and conditional formatting.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
If you change a cell on a worksheet, you can set up a macro to run automatically. In this example, if a customer in Canada is selected, a message pops up, reminding you to fill in a customs form..
We walked through the local park on the weekend, and most of the snow is gone, but there aren't many signs of spring yet. Finally, I found this little tree, with bright pink buds on it. Hooray! Maybe spring will arrive after all.
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.