Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Apr 22, 2014
Text in pivot table values + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to show text in a pivot table's values area, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news!
- Debra firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fun With Pizza Pie Charts
- Show Text in Pivot Table Values
- Worksheet Form Controls
- More Excel Tips
- Video: Pivot Grouping Problems
- Weekly Photo: Winter Returns
- Excel Tools
There's usually a better way to show data, instead of a pie chart. In this case though, I think we can make an exception -- this is a pizza pie chart! Instead of the default colors, you can add a picture to each slice, to show the favorite toppings.
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Make a Better Pizza Pie Chart
Those pizza pie charts probably wouldn't be the best choice for a corporate dashboard, unless you work at a pizza company! If you'd like to improve your dashboard skills, Mynda Treacy from My Online training Hub is opening her Excel Dashboard Course, and if you sign up by May 1st, you can get the course for 20% off.
I've been through this course, and highly recommend it. The course is video based, delivered online and is available 24/7. You'll receive comprehensive workbooks and sample dashboards to keep, and there’s even an option to download the videos.
Bonus: If you sign up for Mynda's course through one of my links, I'll send you a copy of the time-saving DataPig Dashboard Tools add-in. Just enter the Referral Code – DebraD – in the box just below the Buy Now button. You can see the Dashboard Tool key features in this very short video.
Usually you can only see numbers in a pivot table's values area, even if you put a text field there. But, with conditional formatting and custom number formats, you can magically change those numbers into text. In the screen shot below, the region numbers 1 and 2 have been changed to text, and I'm about to fix #3.
Click here to read the details, and watch the video: Show Text in Excel Pivot Table Values Area
Last week, Chandoo interviewed me for his Excel podcast, and you can tune in, to learn about working with Form controls. See if you can catch my mistake, before I do!
Click here to see the details: Adding Form Controls on a Worksheet
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read recently, that you might find useful:
Other Excel Articles
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read last week, that you might find useful:
- Mike Alexander announced the winners of his Excel Meme contest. If you need a laugh today, go take a look at the entries.
- Jan Karel Pieterse shares his code that will help you troubleshoot VBA performance issues.
- Download Max Fraudy’s sample file, to see how compare a chart series against an average or benchmark. This simple technique uses formatting -- no programming.
- If the Easter bunny didn’t bring you anything, you can find hidden eggs in Chandoo’s Excel tips file.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
If you create two pivot tables from the same source data, and group the dates in one pivot table, those dates will be automatically grouped in the second pivot table, because they share a pivot cache.
In this Excel video tutorial, see the simple steps for creating a second pivot cache, so the two pivot tables can have different date groupings.
Last week, while I chatted with Chandoo on Skype, for his Excel podcast, it was snowing here in Canada. Where did spring go? I should be seeing blossoms in my backyard in April, not piles of snow!
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel UserForm Course
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.