Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Apr 29, 2014
Click to hide details + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to quickly show or hide table details, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news!
- Debra firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click to Hide Details
- Hide Pivot Table Errors
- Paste Into Filtered List
- More Excel Tips
- Video: Flexible COUNTIF Formula
- Weekly Photo: Do You Like Pie?
- Excel Tools
If you have a wide table in a worksheet, you might not need to see all the columns, all the time. You can use grouping, to quickly show or hide some of the columns -- no macros required for this quick trick.
Click here to see the details, and try it in your own files: Click to Hide Details
You could use the above tip, for hiding columns, with a wide table on a dashboard. If you'd like to improve your dashboard skills, Mynda Treacy from My Online training Hub is opening her Excel Dashboard Course, and if you sign up by Thursday, May 1st, you can get the course for 20% off.
I've been through this course, and highly recommend it. The course is video based, delivered online and is available 24/7. You'll receive comprehensive workbooks and sample dashboards to keep, and there’s even an option to download the videos.
Bonus: If you sign up for Mynda's course through one of my links, I'll send you a copy of the time-saving DataPig Dashboard Tools add-in. Just enter the Referral Code – DebraD – in the box just below the Buy Now button. You can see the Dashboard Tool key features in this very short video.
When there are errors in the pivot table source data, you might see errors in the pivot table Values area. If possible, fix the errors in the data, so they don't show up in the pivot table If you can't fix the source data, it's possible to hide the errors in the pivot table. In the pivot table options, you can change a setting, to hide those errors.
Click here to read the details, and watch the video: Hide Pivot Table Errors
You can run into serious problems, if you try to copy and paste data into a filtered list. See why the problem occurs, and a couple of workarounds, to help you avoid the problem.
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Problems Pasting in an Excel Filtered List
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read recently, that you might find useful:
- Doug Jenkins has added 3 new functions to his collection of Sort functions, and you can download his file, and see all the code.
- Erin describes the spreadsheet she uses to keep track of her finances, including a pile of student loans. Read the comments too, to see how other recent graduates are using Excel.
- Mynda Treacy explains how you can save time by using chart templates, with all your favourite colours, and other settings, stored in them.
- On The Smarter One blog, sjkistler shows how to select a random sample from items in an Excel list.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about Excel, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
You can use the COUNTIF function to count something specific. In this video, you'll see how to create a drop down list of operators, to choose less than, greater than, etc., to use in a formula. Also, use a cell reference in the formula, so you can quickly change the criterion.
After last week's cruel joke of snow in April, Mother Nature was kinder this week. The little patch of rhubarb in our garden is beginning to sprout, but it might be a few weeks before there is enough for a rhubarb pie.
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Contextures Excel UserForm Course
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.