Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures June 24, 2014
Hide sheets + more Excel tips
Now that summer is here, I'll be sending you the newsletter twice each month, instead of weekly. You will get the next newsletter on July 15th. In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to automatically hide sheets, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news, and I hope that you are enjoying the Excel articles. If you have suggestions for future topics, please let me know.
- Debra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hide Sheets
- Pivot Fiscal Year to Date
- Tools for Complex Workbooks
- More Excel Tips
- Video: Filter Data to Different Sheet
- Weekly Photo: In the Flower Box
- Excel Tools
Xtreme Pivot Table Course
Pivot table skills are essential, if you want to be an Excel master. To raise your skills to the expert level, I recommend the new Xtreme Pivot Table course, from John Michaloudis, at My Excel Online.
This course has more than 200 videos -- beginner, intermediate and advanced level -- along with practice workbooks, finance business cases, and 12 months of personal support. Each short lesson is clear, and easy to follow. Work through the lessons at your own pace, and track your progress. The course is an excellent value, at a surprisingly low price.
See the course details, and watch sample videos here: Xtreme Pivot Table Course. When you buy the course, use the coupon code CONTEXTURES for a 10% discount.
In a workbook, there might be sheets that can stay hidden some of the time. In this example, the workbook is used to create and print orders. If the shipment is going to Canada, an Export Form needs to be printed too. If you select a different country from the drop down, the sheet is automatically hidden
Click here to see the details, and download the sample file: Hide a Worksheet Automatically
Last week, you saw how to show fiscal year totals in a pivot table. This week, we'll add calculations that show the fiscal year to date and fiscal month to date, for a selected month.
Click here to read the details, and download the sample file: Show Fiscal Year to Date Totals
If you're working on complex Excel files, it can be difficult to navigate through the worksheets, and keep track of all the formulas and links. I've put together a list of Excel tools that can help you stay organized -- some free tools, and a couple of paid ones.
Click here to read the details: Excel Tools for Complex Workbooks
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read last week, that you might find useful:
- Randall Bolten lists 19 spreadsheet tips that will make you a faster and better spreadsheet user. There are 2 categories – Instant payoff tips, and long-term payoff tips.
- Chandoo asked what you struggle with in Excel, and created a list of the top 10 problems, and suggestions for solving them.
- Jen Underwood wonders if Excel is the next killer BI app, and reviews the Power BI data discovery tools.
- Susan Harkins uses conditional formatting’s data bars and color scales to simulate Excel charts.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about spreadsheets, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
An Advanced Filter is a bit trickier to use than an AutoFilter, but it can do a few things that make the extra effort worthwhile. In this video, you'll see how to set up the filter, and enter criteria, to copy specific records to a different worksheet -- with no macros.
The back porch is shaded in the morning, and it's a lovely spot to have breakfast on a summer day. I've planted marigolds in flower boxes, that hang from the porch railing, and the bright colours set a cheerful mood. It's a great way to start the day.
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Charles Williams has released a new version his add-in, FastExcel V3, and you’ll get 50% off the bundle price, if you use Coupon Code FXLV3Intro (valid until July 31 2014)
- Contextures Excel UserForm Course
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.