Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures August 12, 2014
Top 5 for Date Range + more Excel tips
During the summer, I am sending you the newsletter twice each month, instead of weekly. You will get the next newsletter on August 26th. In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to see the top or bottom records in a pivot table, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news, and I hope that you are enjoying the Excel articles. If you have suggestions for future topics, please let me know.
- Debra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 5 Items in Advanced Filter List
- Compare Top and Bottom Products
- More Excel Tips
- Excel Announcements
- Video: Show Hidden Data in a Chart
- Weekly Photo: Sunny Day Sunflower
- Excel Tools
Use an Advanced Filter to find the top 5 orders, for products sold after a specific date. Just enter a few formulas at the top of the worksheet, then run the filter. One advantage of using an Advanced Filter is that you can show the results in place, or send the list to a different worksheet.
Click here to see the details, and download the sample file: Top 5 Items in Advanced Filter List
Use a pivot table's Top 10 filter to show best-selling products. Then, change the filter, to see how many of the low selling products it takes to equal the sales of the top 3 products.
Click here to read the details: Compare Top and Bottom Products
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read last week, that you might find useful:
- David Ringstrom shows how to use the keyboard to select items from a filter list or drop down list. This will save you some time, if you like to keep your hands on the keyboard.
- Are you using Office for the iPad? Recently, new features have been added, including Pivot Table interaction, and Send as PDF.
- Mark Tabladillo does a great job of outlining Microsoft's Power BI tools, and what is available with different licensing options. His tables take some of the confusion out of the Power BI mystery.
- Does Ed Bott include your favorites in his list of 6 Excel power tips?
- In his latest podcast, Chandoo recommends 3 books for aspiring analysts, and explains how to enter his Analyst Book Giveaway. Listen to the podcast, to get the details.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about spreadsheets, read this week's collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Here are some upcoming events, courses, recently published books, and other new items, related to Excel:
- Free webinar on Excel Tables, by Zack Barresse. Friday, August 15, 2014 at 2 PM (Eastern time zone). Zack is one of the authors of the recently published book, Excel Tables: A Complete Guide.
- New book -- 101 Ready-to-Use Excel Formulas by Mike Alexander and Dick Kusleika
- New book -- Excel 2010 for Health Services Management Statistics by Thomas Quirk and Simone Cummings
If you create an Excel chart, then hide rows or columns in your worksheet, the hidden data might also disappear from your chart. By default, Excel charts do not display the data in hidden rows and columns. This video shows how to change an Excel chart's settings, so the hidden data will appear in the chart.
The weather was perfect last Thursday, so I took the day off, and went to a local farm, for some fun in the sun. They grow and sell crops on this farm, and there is also a play area, for the children. Just inside the gates, there was a row of sunflowers, and I snapped a photo of one plant, just as a bee was flying in. I'm glad that bee was working hard, while I was playing!
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Xtreme Pivot Table course, use coupon code CONTEXTURES for a 10% discount.
- Contextures Excel UserForm Course
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- FastExcel V3
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.