Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures August 26, 2014
Fix Pivot Headings + more Excel tips
During the summer, I am sending you the newsletter twice each month, instead of weekly. You will get the next newsletter on September 9th. In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to remove "Sum of in pivot table headings, and other tips. Thank you for reading the Excel news, and I hope that you are enjoying the Excel articles. If you have suggestions for future topics, please let me know.
- Debra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create Random Text in Excel
- Remove Sum Of in Pivot Table Headings
- More Excel Tips
- Excel Announcements
- Video: LEFT RIGHT MID Functions
- Weekly Photo: Picking Tomatoes
- Excel Tools
Data Validation Multi-Select Premium Update
Earlier this month, I updated my Data Validation Multi-Select Premium kit, so itís much easier to customize the code, and add it to your file. If youíve purchased a copy of the kit, you should have received an email with a link to download the new version.
Iíve also created a page with answers to frequently asked questions about the product, and please let me know if you have any other questions.
To enter random numbers on an Excel worksheet, you can use the RANDBETWEEN function. Set a bottom and top number, and a random number from that range is returned.
In this example, CHOOSE and RANDBETWEEN work together in a formula, to return text -- a random region name (East, West or Central) in one column, and a random gender (Male or Female), in another column.
Click here to see the details, and watch the video: Create Random Text in Excel
For pivot table Value fields, "Sum of" or "Count of" is automatically added to the field name. You can shorten these default names, or change them to something more descriptive. Watch the short video, to see the steps, or follow the written instructions.
Click here to read the details, and watch the video: Remove Sum Of in Pivot Table Headings
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read recently, that you might find useful:
- How big is that worksheet? Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict) calculated the size in his latest newsletter, and you might be surprised.
- Sumit Bansal shows 10 ways to clean up data in Excel. Just be careful using tip #9 Ė the picture is highlighting the wrong command!
- Mike Alexander helps us understand weighted averages, and reminds us not to take an average of an average.
- Previously, Ken Puls shared his favourite Text functions, and now he has posted a Power Query version of that list.
- If you get bored with budgets and financial reports, try making one of the cool Excel projects that Mashable found.
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about spreadsheets, read the latest collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Here are some upcoming events, courses, recently published books, and other new items, related to Excel:
- New book -- Microsoft Excel 2013 Functions and Formulas 3rd Ed. by Bernd Held.
- Registration has opened for this year's ModelOff competition. Test your financial modeling skills against top modelers from around the world. Participants from over 100 countries progress through two Online Qualification Rounds with a Live Finals Event held in New York.
In this video, see how to use the LEFT, RIGHT and MID functions, to pull the year, month and day from a string of numbers.
It's hard to believe that summer is almost over, and school starts next week. My garden is doing well, and there were lots of tomatoes ready to pick, so I put my little helpers to work. Those tomatoes taste extra delicious when someone else picks them!
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Xtreme Pivot Table course, use coupon code CONTEXTURES for a 10% discount.
- Contextures Excel UserForm Course
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- FastExcel V3
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.