Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures September 9, 2014
5 pivot problems + more Excel tips
In this week's Excel news, you'll see how to fix 5 annoying pivot table problems, and much more. Thank you for reading the Excel news, and I hope that you are enjoying the Excel articles. If you have suggestions for future topics, please let me know.
- Debra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Problem VBA Code Debuging
- 5 Pivot Table Problems
- More Excel Tips
- Excel Announcements
- Video: Split Ties With RANK
- Weekly Photo: Late Summer Flowers
- Excel Tools
If a macro doesn't run correctly, you do some troubleshooting in the Visual Basic Editor. I often use the F8 key to step through the code, one line at a time. Recently though, the F8 key didn't stop at the next line, like it was supposed to, and I finally found a solution to the problem.
Click here to see the details: Problem with F8 Key
I love pivot tables, but they do have a few problems that you might have run into. You can see my list of the 5 most annoying pivot table problems, and how to avoid them. Do you have any problems to add to the list?
Some of the problems can be fixed with my Pivot Power Premium add-in, so remember to use those features, if you've bought a copy. It can clear old items, change Count to Sum, and much more.
Click here to read the details, and watch the slide show: 5 Annoying Pivot Table Problems
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read recently, that you might find useful:
- Annie Cushing made a video to show how to use INDEX, instead of OFFSET for marketing analysis. Itís worth a visit, just to see the cat picture.
- To save time, Sara Silverstein created custom chart templates, with all her favorite settings.
- Summer is almost over, but there are still a few holidays left this year. Glen Feechan explains how to calculate working days, and account for upcoming holidays.
- If you import data that has numbers formatted as text, Chandoo shares a quick tip for fixing them.
- You can download event planning and cooking-related Excel templates from the Chef's Resource website..
- Finally, for a humorous peek at what other people are saying about spreadsheets, read the latest collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Here are some upcoming events, courses, recently published books, and other new items, related to Excel:
- New book -- Beginning Power BI with Excel 2013 by Dan Clark.
- Registration has opened for this year's ModelOff competition. Test your financial modeling skills against top modelers from around the world. Participants from over 100 countries progress through two Online Qualification Rounds with a Live Finals Event held in New York. Round 1 is October 25th. Note: A video starts to play automatically on the ModelOff site, so turn down your speakers.
In a contest, there might be a set prize amount for the top few contestants. How would you split the prize money, if two or more people tie for one of the positions? Watch this video to see how to use the RANK function to split the prize money..
This is the first year that I've had a Stonecrop plant (Sedum Spectabile) in the garden, and for most of the year it just looked like a clump of broccoli, with tiny green buds on top. It has finally started to blossom, and now it's covered with hundreds of delicate pink flowers, and it's a lovely addition to the late summer garden.
In addition to all the free Excel tips and tutorials, there are other Excel tools that you can invest in. To learn more about the products listed below, click on the links to take a look at their features, and decide if they're right for you.
- Xtreme Pivot Table course, use coupon code CONTEXTURES for a 10% discount.
- Contextures Excel UserForm Course
- Contextures Excel Tools Add-in
- Contextures PivotPower Premium Add-in
- Contextures 30 Excel Functions in 30 Days
- FastExcel V3
- Excel Online Course
- Excel Charting Tools
- Excel Dashboard Kits
- Excel Project Management Templates
- Excel VBA School
Note: I am an affiliate for some of the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.