Excel Pivot Tables Recipe Book
This book, by Debra
Dalgleish, provides pivot table troubleshooting tips and techniques,
and programming examples.
Also see Beginning
Pivot Tables in Excel 2007, which explains what Pivot Tables are,
how you can benefit from using them, how to create them and modify them,
and how to use their enhanced features
Pivot Tables Recipe Book: A Problem-Solution Approach assumes
that you know the basics of Excel and pivot tables, and provides troubleshooting
tips and techniques, and programming examples.
This book is for anyone who uses Excel pivot tables, and who only
reads the manual when all else fails. It's designed to help you understand
the advanced features and options that are available, as you need
them. Experiment with Excel pivot tables, and if you get stuck, search
for the problem in this book. With luck, you'll find a solution, a
workaround, or, occasionally, confirmation that pivot tables can't
do what you want them to do.
Order the Book on Amazon
Note: Debra Dalgleish is an Amazon Associate. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can order your copy of Excel
Pivot Tables Recipe Book: A Problem-Solution Approach
from the Amazon.com or Amazon.ca website. The
"Look Inside" feature is enabled, so you can see a preview
of the contents
Download the Sample Files
- Go to the PivotTables Recipes page:
- Scroll down, and click the Source Code/Downloads tab, then click
the Download Now link.
- Click OK when prompted to save the file, then select a folder
in which to save the sample files zipped file.
- Creating a Pivot Table: Issues to consider when planning
an Excel pivot table, and preparing the source data. Problems that
occur when connecting to the source data, and understanding the
pivot table options that are available.
- Sorting and Grouping Pivot Table Data: Understanding how
data sorts in an Excel pivot table, creating custom sort orders,
showing top items only, grouping and ungrouping numbers, dates and
- Calculations in a Pivot Table: Using the summary functions
and custom calculations, creating calculated items and calculated
fields to expand the built-in capabilities, modifying formulas,
and adjusting the solve order.
- Formatting a Pivot Table: Autoformatting a pivot table,
applying and retaining formatting, creating custom number formats,
showing and hiding totals and subtotals.
- Extracting Pivot Table Data: Using the Drill to Details
feature to extract underlying records, using the GetPivotData worksheet
function to extract Excel pivot table data, turning off the GetPivotData
feature, creating pivot table copies with the Show Pages feature.
- Modifying a Pivot Table: Changing the pivot table layout,
modifying field and item captions, clearing old items from the field
dropdowns, adding comments to data cells, customizing the PivotTable
- Updating a Pivot Table: Refreshing the pivot table, refreshing
automatically, reconnecting to the source data, changing the source
data, creating a dynamic source data range.
- Securing a Pivot Table: Preventing users from changing
the pivot table layout, connecting to a password protected data
source, using security features, addressing privacy issues.
- Pivot Table Limits and Performance: Understanding limits
to pivot table field size, addressing memory issues, maximizing
performance, reducing file size.
- Publishing a Pivot Table: Preparing an Excel pivot table
for publishing on a web page, with or without interactivity.
- Printing a Pivot Table: Printing headings on every page,
repeating row and column labels, adjusting the print area, using
the Report Manager to simplify printing.
- Pivot Charts: Restoring lost formatting, creating normal
charts from pivot tables, stepping through the Chart Wizard
- Programming a Pivot Table: Recording and using macros,
automating Excel pivot table creation, printing, and modification.
Sample code for clearing old items from pivot field dropdown lists,
refreshing all pivot tables, preventing layout changes, reformatting
a pivot chart, changing the pivot cache.
FAQs - Pivot Tables
Pivot Table Introduction
Clear Old Items in Pivot Table