Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Mar 5, 2012This week's highlights include sample code for time tracking, shortcuts and code for selecting part of an Excel sheet, and a new book from a client of mine.- Debra email@example.com
Select the Actual Used Range in ExcelOn the Contextures Blog, we looked at keyboard shortcuts for selecting specific parts of an Excel worksheet.
There is also a sample macro that you can use, to select only the range that contains data, not the empty columns or rows that might surround it.
Keep Track of Time with Excel VBALast week, we saw how to manually enter start and stop times in Excel, and calculate the total time spent on tasks.
This week, we look at ways to automatically enter the current time, including seconds, by using Excel VBA.
One of my clients, Philip Green, is co-author of a new book, misLeading Indicators: How to Reliably Measure Your Business, that was published this week.
The book covers the 4 key principles for reliable measurements:
- Sufficient background information
- Accuracy and precision
- Reasonable inferences
- Reality checks in different situations.The authors show how to apply and interpret measurements in specific areas, including business performance, risk management, process, control, finance, and economics.
I've worked with Phil for more than 20 years, and hold his work in very high regard. I look forward to reading misLeading Indicators -- as soon as Amazon is ready to ship it!
Excel HumourOnce again, I read the Excel tweets, so you don't have to! Here are a few favourites from this week. You can read the rest of the tweet collection here.
- +50 nerd points: I just added my first macro to an Excel file. -100 nerd points: I got the code from a forum
- My Excel sheets are like a piece of modern art, really confusing but you know someone put a lot of work into them
- Excel for Mac tends to work better when Numbers is open. Gets the competitive juices flowing, maybe?
Save time with our "Done For You" Excel products.
- Pivot Power Premium Add-in - Time-saving tools for pivot table users
- Data Entry Popup Kit - Quick and easy data entry with a popup list
- Data Entry Search Popup - Enhanced data entry popup, with Search box
- Excel Tools Add-in - Make instant backups, sheet list with links, much more
- More Excel products from Contextures
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved.