Search Contextures Sites
Excel Weekly News from Contextures Mar 5, 2013
It's really cold in Canada, and I hope spring, and its warmer weather, arrive soon! I was lucky to have a few vacation days in Florida this winter, and you can see a photo at the end of this newsletter.
In this weeks Excel news, you'll see how to group numbers by tens in a pivot table, create a quick list of dates, and other tips. Thanks for reading the news!
- Debra email@example.com
Sum For a Date Range in Excel
You can calculate a simple total in Excel, by using the SUM function. If you'd like to sum based on criteria, such as a date range, use SUMIFS (Excel 2007 or later) or the SUMIF function.
To see the details, click here: Sum for a Date Range in Excel
Update Pivot Table With Scroll Bar
To create an interactive summary report, you can set up a scroll bar, to control the date range in a pivot table. There is one line of programming, and the rest of the magic is done with formulas.
To see the details, and to download the sample file, click here: Update Pivot Table With Scroll Bar
Group Pivot Table Numbers by Tens
Instead of showing a long list of numbers in a pivot table's row or column headings, you can group the numbers by 10s. This will give you a more concise summary, and makes the data easier to read.
Click here, to read the details: Group Pivot Table Numbers by Tens
Quick List of Dates
Do you ever have to fill in a column with dates? Sometimes you need a series of dates, and other times you might need all those dates to be the same.
Here is a quick trick that works if there is data in the adjacent column.
To quickly fill in a list of dates:
- Enter the starting date in the top cell, and select that cell.
- Point to the Fill Handle at the cell's bottom right corner.
- Double-click on the fill handle, to fill the column with a series of dates, down to the last row of data.
- If you want all the dates to be the same, press Ctrl + D, to fill down.
Here is a short video that shows how it works.
Save time with our "Done For You" Excel products.
- Pivot Power Premium Add-in - Time-saving tools for pivot table users
- Data Entry Popup Kit - Quick and easy data entry with a popup list
- Data Entry Search Popup - Enhanced data entry popup, with Search box
- Excel Tools Add-in - Make instant backups, sheet list with links, much more
- More Excel products from Contextures
Note: I am an affiliate for the products mentioned in this newsletter, and earn a commission on the sales.
We visited a harbour on the Gulf side of Florida, and this bird let me get up close for a picture. This little vacation was a nice break from working in Excel! I hope you've had some time away from the computer too!
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved.